Joseph E. and Ursil I. Callen Prize
The Graduate College is pleased to invite applications for the Joseph E. and Ursil I. Callen Prize. The award ($5000) is for an outstanding graduating senior in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students must plan to attend graduate school at the University of Iowa or at any other university beginning the summer or fall of 2013. Candidates must be United States citizens who were born in the United States. In addition to strong academic qualifications, award recipients must show evidence of school and/or civic leadership in high school and/or college.
Applications should include the following:
- A statement, not to exceed one page, describing the student’s academic and life goals;
- A list of graduate programs to which the student has applied, or the name of the institution the student will attend, accompanied by documentation of admission into the program;
- A printout from ISIS of the student’s academic record at the University of Iowa;
- An activity list which includes the student’s research activities, notable extracurricular activities in both high school and college, and awards received;
- A brief statement describing leadership experiences;
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the disciplinary area in which the student will pursue graduate work or in the student’s undergraduate major area.
Deadline for 2013 nominations is March 8, 2013.
The winner will be recognized at the annual Honors Award Ceremony.