T. Anne Cleary International Dissertation Research Fellowships
The Graduate College is pleased to offer the 2016-2017 T. Anne Cleary International Dissertation Research Fellowships.
The fellowship is named in honor of Professor T. Anne Cleary, former Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor in the College of Education, Division of Psychological and Quantitative Foundations. Dr. Cleary was strongly committed to the ideals of international education in its many forms.
The purpose of this fellowship is to provide funds for UI doctoral candidates to conduct dissertation research outside of North America, and is available to all disciplinary areas.
The deadline for applications is March 25, 2016. Applications must be submitted electronically via this form.
Doctoral candidates who will have completed all pre-dissertation requirements, including the comprehensive examination and approval of a dissertation topic by the application deadline. Past recipients of this award are not eligible. DMA students taking the essay option are not eligible.
Students who will not have met pre-dissertation requirements by the application deadline should consider applying for the Stanley Graduate Award for Pre-Dissertation International Research, which is coordinated through International Programs.
The fellowship is intended to support travel, subsistence, and/or research expenses. Tuition and fees are not covered by this award.
Awards generally range from $1,500 to $5,000. Proposed budgets should be as specific as possible, with as much supporting information as possible.
The T. Anne Cleary Fellowship is intended primarily to supplement other research/travel funding received. Indications of applications for other funds to supplement the fellowship will increase the chances for receiving a Cleary Award; additional funding received will be considered in determining the amount of a Cleary Fellowship.
Students may not apply for both the T. Anne Cleary Fellowship and the Stanley Award (administered by International Programs) for the same research period, since each award is intended for a different purpose.
Fellowship money may not be used for:
- Tuition and fees
- Language study
- In-country expenses for advisor(s)
- Salaries (except for honoraria for in-country data collectors, research assistants, or interviewers)
- Publication costs
- Transportation or maintenance for dependents
- Purchase of equipment
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Quality of the proposal, including the clarity of the explanation of the significance of the proposed research.
- Evidence of the candidate's need to perform the research in another country.
- Candidate's demonstrated knowledge of the nature of research conditions in the geographical area chosen for study
- Feasibility and appropriateness of the proposed methodology
- Practicality of plans for carrying out the research in the destination country, and likelihood of completing the project in the proposed time
- Competence in the language(s) required for working with primary research materials
Time Period for Use of Funds
Fellowship funds will available beginning on August 1, 2016 and must be requested no later than June 1, 2017.
Recipients of the Cleary Fellowship will be required to share their research experiences with other graduate students across campus through a short series of blog posts. Information will be provided along with award notification.
Please call or email with questions:
- Donna Welter (335-2145, firstname.lastname@example.org)