Theses and Dissertations
Your thesis or dissertation is the culmination of your outstanding scholarship. The Graduate College can help direct you to resources regarding general best practices, formatting, submitting your document electronically, and more.
Beginning with the Fall 2009 Semester, all doctoral dissertations and master's theses, excluding MFA theses, must be submitted to the Graduate College in electronic format. (See "Electronic Theses and Dissertations" for help with the submission of your ETD to UMI/ProQuest.) MFA students have the option of submitting hard-copy or electronic theses. Please reference the Graduate College Manual of Rules and Regulations, sections X.H. and XII.M., to review the revised submission text.
The Graduate College strongly advises you to read all of the material located on the Thesis Publishing (ProQuest Agreement) page. You need to pay particular attention to The University of Iowa's policy statements regarding Open Access Publishing, Embargoes, Signature Pages and Abstracts.
Please remember that in cases where ProQuest/UMI regulations are in conflict with those of The University of Iowa, the policies and specifications of the University take precedence.
- Upcoming Thesis Defenses
- Graduate College Thesis Manual
- Thesis Publishing (ProQuest Agreement)
- Library Deposit of Master's and Doctoral Theses
- Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs)
- Graduate College Thesis and Dissertation Support Service
- Graduation/Thesis-Related Fees
- Templates, Clinics, and Other Resources
- Thesis Format Presentations