ETD Submission Checklist
Students submitting an ETD, including MFA* students who elect to submit an ETD, must follow Graduate College submission deadlines and Graduate College Thesis Manual requirements. The first deposits MUST be in complete and final form. A submission will be considered incomplete--and a student may not be allowed to graduate--if any manuscript elements or materials are missing from the ETD.
- Your thesis or dissertation (hereinafter referred to simply as thesis) must be in complete and final form at first deposit. It may not be a working draft.
- To submit your first deposit (finished thesis) log into the ETD website. You will need to register for an account. You can create an account by clicking on the "submit your thesis" link.
- In the unlikely event that your ETD exceeds 1GB, please contact us at (319) 335-2144 for processing instructions.
- Answer the registration questions and submit your thesis. All components of your thesis, including your preliminary pages, must be in one PDF for submission.
- You will receive a time-and-date stamped submission confirmation from UMI/ProQuest via email. If you do not get this confirmation, please call the Graduate College at 319-335-2144 to make sure that we have received your first deposit. The time and date of your first submission must be prior to 5:00 p.m. on the first deposit deadline date.
- Upon submission, your thesis is reviewed by the Graduate College thesis examiners in the order in which it is received. This may take several days to several weeks.
- Following the review of your submission, one of our thesis examiners will send you an email notifying you of any revisions that are required.
- Once you have completed the formatting revisions required, use the "revise thesis" link at the ETD website to submit your final deposit. DO NOT submit your final deposit before completing both the revisions required by the Graduate College and your thesis committee. Once you submit your final deposit, NO additional changes will be allowed unless the thesis examiners find additional changes that need to be made after final submission.
- In addition to your final ETD submission, all students must submit a signed Certificate of Approval to the office of the Graduate College before 5:00 p.m. on the final deposit deadline date. Your final thesis deposit WILL NOT BE REVIEWED until we also have your Certificate of Approval.
*MFA students may not change submission formats between the first and final deposit. In other words, if a MFA student submits an ETD at first deposit, the final deposit must also be submitted as an ETD. Likewise, if a MFA student submits a hard-copy thesis at first deposit, the final deposit must also be in hard-copy format.