Purchase of Alcohol for University Activities

Alcoholic beverages cannot be purchased with state-appropriated funds. If a department wishes to use private funds to purchase alcohol for a function on University property, the alcoholic beverages must be provided by the Food Service of the Iowa Memorial Union, which administers the State of Iowa liquor license held by the Board of Regents. The alcohol may be served in designated non-academic buildings such as the Union, Hancher Auditorium, or the Museum of Art. Contact Sondra Smith (IMU Food Service, sondra-smith@uiowa.edu, 335-3105) for help with the arrangements.

Occasionally, the University grants permission for the Iowa Memorial Union to provide wine and beer service in approved areas of academic buildings for events that are developmental in nature and are not open to the public. Dean Keller must request this permission from Tom Rocklin, Interim Vice President for Student Services. The DEO writes the Dean well in advance of the occasion specifying the day, time, location, and purpose of the function and those invited (e.g., faculty, alumni, graduate students). The Operations Manual V-26, contains the complete University guidelines for alcoholic beverage service.