The University of Iowa Staff Council (UISC) was established in 1967 as an avenue for input into university decisions affecting staff and to help staff gain a broader understanding of university strategic goals and initiatives. We represent non-bargaining professional and merit staff across the university.
My name is Melanie Ostmo and I am excited to represent the Graduate College, the Division of Continuing Education, and Summer/Winter Session on the UISC. I have worked in student services with the Division of Continuing Education for over five years. I help students with registration in online courses and any other issues related to online courses.
Below I have included the UISC's mission and goals.
The Council supports the University mission. In pursuing that mission, the Council seeks to advance such endeavors through visibly active staff participation/involvement both campus-wide and community-wide in a spirit of unity and open communication with other shared governance organizations on campus.
The goals of UISC are:
- Advocate on behalf of represented staff
- Advise the University Administration on policies
- Inform the University community of the activities of the Council
- Promote University relations within the community of Iowa City and the State of Iowa
- Collaborate with shared governance organizations on campus, notably the Faculty Senate, Student Government and organizational shared governance groups
- Promote staff learning through professional development and awards
- Promote communication and shared governance among staff, central administration, Faculty Senate and Student Government
Please visit the UISC website to view meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes. You are always welcome to attend monthly meetings, the time and location are displayed right on the homepage.
Feel free to contact me with any concerns/questions and I can take them to the meetings for you. I can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 319-335-0147. I look forward to being a voice for staff and participating in shared governance on our campus. Go Hawks!