Have questions that are not answered below? Email us at gradcoll@uiowa.edu.


What programs are offered at the graduate level?

You can find a list of Graduate Areas of Study at the Graduate Admissions site.

What are the Master's graduation deadlines?

Specific deadlines can be found on our website.

Where can I find the PhD graduation deadlines?

You can download a list of general deadlines. Specific deadlines can be found on our website.

Where can I find more information about thesis requirements?

You can find general requirements and information on our thesis and dissertation page. Check with your advisor and department about department-specific requirements.


How do I find housing in the Iowa City area?

Most apartments in Iowa City require returning tenants to sign lease renewals several months in advance. That means many apartment complexes start seeking tenants for August between January and April. While finding an apartment for the fall in June and July isn't impossible, choices are limited. Once you know you are coming to Iowa City for graduate school, we recommend that you start searching for a place to live. You can find more information about finding a place to live on our housing webpage.

How can I find social connections outside of my department?

Compared to your undergraduate experience, you may have to be more proactive in finding social connections. Volunteering in the community, finding a place of worship if you are religious or spiritual, and joining an exercise class at the Field House or CRWC are great places to start.If you have a specific interest or hobby you can also look through the list of Student Organizations on campus. While many of the student organizations are aimed at undergraduates, it may be beneficial to email them and see if graduate students are involved in the club as well. You can also check out our Graduate Student Life page for more resources.

Where can I find more information about diversity at Iowa?

The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion serves graduate students from under-represented populations. Check out their website for more information about their services and opportunities for involvement.

The Carver College of Medicine (CCOM) also has an Office of Cultural Affairs and Diversity Initiatives that is committed to fostering an environment where all members of the UI Health Care Community feel welcome.

Where can I find a map of campus?

You can find a map of campus along with information about classrooms, study spaces, and scheduled tours at "Campus Maps & Tours".

How do I get around Iowa City?

  • Car: If you have a car, it is very easy to drive around Iowa City. However, parking is very limited on campus and most parking lots have waitlists. You can find a list of parking permits at The University of Iowa Parking and Transportation.
  • Bus: There are several bus routes that serve Iowa City and Coralville. You can use the Bongo site or Bongo app to view routes and find out when buses will be arriving at specific stops. The Cambus serves the University of Iowa campus and is free to everyone. You can buy a discounted city bus pass from Parking and Transportation that will give you access to both the Iowa City and Coralville routes. When looking for a place to live, keep in mind how you intend to get to and from campus.
  • Zipcar: If you have a zipcar membership, you can rent zipcars at three different locations on or near campus: Burge Hall, Newton Road Ramp, and 200 South Linn St near the Iowa City Public Library. Rentals can be by the hour or by the day.
  • Uber: Uber is now available in Iowa City. You can find more information and rate estimates at their website.
  • Taxi: There are several taxi companies that serve Iowa City.

Where can I park on or near campus?

You can find more information about campus parking. You can also find information specifically about graduate student parking options. You can also find public parking garages and meters downtown. Limited free street parking can be found in the neighborhoods east of downtown. If you park on the street, make sure you pay attention to which side of the street you are allowed to park on during a specific day.

I plan to bike around campus. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

You can find information about registering your bike, where to park, and campus regulations. There are also three bicycle repair stations around campus.

What outdoor activities are available in Iowa City and the surrounding area?

There are outdoor activities provided by the University of Iowa Recreational Services

There are also parks, trails, and greenspace in Iowa City, Coralville, and North Liberty.

Financial Concerns

How much will graduate school cost each year?

Costs will depend on a variety of factors including: the program you enroll in, if you are enrolled part-time or full-time, if you have in-state or out-of-state tuition, etc. An estimate for yearly costs can be found on the Graduate Admissions page. You can also use the Tuition Calculator to estimate your tuition. If you still have questions, you can email the registrar at registrar@uiowa.edu

What fees will I be assessed as a graduate student?

You can find a list of mandatory fees and their descriptions.

Where can I find a job opportunities on and off campus?

You can find both on-campus and off-campus jobs via HireaHawk. Graduate students must contact the Pomerantz Career Center to request access to HireaHawk. You can also sometimes find graduate assistant job postings here.

How do I get financial aid as a graduate student? What is available to me?

The office of Student Financial Aid can answer all of your questions. They have a page dedicated to Graduate Students.If you still have questions send them an email at financial-aid@uiowa.edu.

What additional sources of funding are available?

There are both internal and external sources of funding for your graduate education.

Internal Funding includes graduate assistantships (including research and teaching assistantships) and internal grants and fellowships.

External Funding may include grants and assistantships.  The Graduate Success office can help you find and apply for these awards.

You can find more information about funding.

We also recommend speaking with your department about internal and external funding opportunities.

Professional Development Resources

Where can I get help with my writing?

There are numerous resources on campus to help you become a better writer and/or help you stay accountable while working on your dissertation. The Writing Center is a great place to start.In addition to giving you feedback on your writing, the Writing Center also offers the Write ON program.

I am nervous about teaching this semester. Are there any resources on campus for me?

The Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology has resources and programs for graduate students and post-doctoral students who will be teaching. You can also request appointments with the Speaking Center to work on various aspects of teaching your class. Further resources are available through the University of Iowa’s membership in the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL) and our professional development page.

What is the difference between an advisor and a mentor?

The difference between an advisor and a mentor is a subtle one.Sometimes an advisor is chosen for you, for example your academic or program advisor. Sometimes you choose your advisor such as when you choose a research advisor who will oversee your thesis work. Advisors will tell you what you need to do to reach your goals or move to the next step of your career path. A mentor, on the other hand, is there to help you grow as a person and a professional.You may decide you need multiple mentors for different aspects of your professional and personal development.Perhaps one mentor is skilled at work-life balance, you admire another mentor for their writing ability, and yet another for their public speaking and/or teaching skills. Your advisor can serve as a mentor but it is unlikely they will be able to mentor you on everything you need.It is your responsibility to seek out mentors that will help you fulfill your developmental needs.

How do I find mentors?

Keep your eyes open. Pay attention to the faculty, post-doctoral fellows, other graduate students, and professionals that you come into contact with. Do you admire them for something or think that they followed a career path similar to the one you envision following? Send them an email to let them know what you admire about them and see if they would ever be willing to chat with you about career paths, writing, public speaking, etc.

Use the networks you already have to find out who you should seek out as mentors. You can find additional tips on our website.

I would like to gain more teaching experience. What should I do?

The first place you should look for more teaching experience is your research advisor. They may be teaching a class that semester and would appreciate your help with teaching a lecture or a whole module. You can also check with your department to see what other teaching opportunities they have.

If you would like more formal training, you can earn the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching. Requirements for the certificate include taking a couple of classes and participating in teaching practicums.

The Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology also provides online resources and workshops for those interested in teaching.

What is the difference between a teaching practicum and a teaching assistantship?

A teaching practicum is similar to an unpaid internship in which you can earn course credit. The number of credits you can earn will depend on the time commitment required for the course. This credit can then be applied towards your graduate degree in some circumstance. Your department can give you more information about whether the teaching practicum counts toward your degree.

Teaching assistantships (TA positions) may be paid or unpaid positions. In some circumstances, a certain number of teaching assistantship experiences may be required for you to graduate from your program. No course credit is earned for teaching assistantships.

Where can I get help with my CV, resume, and cover letter?

Graduate students and postdocs can receive career services and advising through the Graduate College. Advising appointments are held at both Gilmore Hall and the Medical Research Center (MRC).


Where can I go to exercise?

All graduate students are assessed a Recreation Facility Fee. Depending on your program, this fee may give you access to The University of Iowa Recreation Facilities just during the academic year (August-May) or it may include summer access as well. Recreation Facilities include the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC), the Field House, Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC), and Fitness East.

Where can I go if I become ill?

All students enrolled in more than four semester hours pay a Student Health Service Fee. This fee allows unlimited visits to see a doctor at Student Health and Wellness (located in Westlawn). The fee also covers health promotion services including fitness assessments, nutrition counseling, etc. Patients must still pay for lab tests, supplies, physicals, immunizations, procedures, and other costs not covered by their insurance.

Can I get insurance through the University of Iowa?

Yes, graduate students can purchase health and/or dental insurance for themselves and their family through the University of Iowa benefits office. Although you are not required to purchase health insurance through the University of Iowa, all graduate students must have health insurance while they attend.

What mental health resources are available to me?

If you are a currently enrolled student at the University of Iowa you can schedule an appointment with University Counseling Service (UCS). You can also find self-help articles on their website. If you are specifically looking for help with stress management, you can also set-up a stress management appointment with Student Health and Wellness.

I am feeling overwhelmed by graduate school and am not sure if I should continue with my program. What should I do?

First, know that you are not alone. Many graduate students will experience what is known as imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome occurs when someone begins to doubt their abilities and may even think their acceptance into a program was a mistake. While this is a very common thing that occurs during graduate school (and sometimes among postdocs and faculty), you do not have to live with it for your entire time as a graduate student. This first thing you should do is identify people you can talk to about how you are feeling. This could be a family member, a friend, a classmate or colleague, or your research advisor. Additionally, you can contact University Counseling Services for an appointment. Student Health and Wellness also offers free stress management consulations.