funding your education

Graduate Assistantships

Assistantships are broadly considered to be the best way to fund graduate school. Your assistantship could consist of teaching a class, working as a research assistant, or other duties. Students holding a 25% or greater teaching or research assistantship appointment will be assured a tuition scholarship. To view assistantships outside your home department, see the Graduate College’s Open Assistantships Page. Assistantships are covered by the COGS collective bargaining agreement. Please review the New Graduate Assistant To Do List if this is your first GA appointment.

Grants & Fellowships

Grants and Fellowships are awarded through competition and do not generally require repayment. They can be used for a wide range of purposes including travel, research, experiments, fieldwork, or dissertation writing.

Internal grants and fellowships are opportunities offered by the University of Iowa. Frequently these require that you be nominated by your advisor or another faculty member. Read about the available opportunities and discuss them with your advisor.

External grants and fellowships are given by organizations like the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation or or government agencies like the National Science Foundation.

The Graduate Success office at the grad school can help you find and apply for these awards.

Student Loans

Student loans are a type of financial aid that must be repaid to the lender. While many graduate students take out some student loans, they should not be considered your primary way to support graduate education. Please visit Financial Aid for more information on student loans.

Quick Links