Students must submit their part of the application materials to their department at least two weeks prior to the Graduate College deadline. Check with your department as soon as possible for their deadlines as well as inform them that you intended to apply. Applications submitted by the student (and not someone in the department such as the DGS, DEO or grad coordinator) will be voided and not considered.
The following guidelines apply:
- All scholars must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Students must have completed at least one full semester of graduate study at the University of Iowa. If students are in their first semester, they are not eligible to apply.
- Doctoral students must be within five years of entry into their graduate programs.
- Master’s students must be within two years of entry (three years if master's program is three years).
- Tuition scholarship support shall not exceed two semesters total from the Graduate Diversity Scholarship Program.
- Graduate Diversity Scholarship awards may be used for tuition only. Scholarships are based on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences resident rates. (Students registered in the College of Education receive resident tuition adjusted according to COE guidelines). This scholarship will cover 50 percent of mandatory fees. Additional fees (mandatory and course fees) are the student’s responsibility.
- Students must be currently enrolled and enrolled in the semester/summer they are awarded the scholarship.
- Ineligible if appointed to a 25 percent or greater research or teaching assistantship.
Student materials (single spaced, 12 pt. type, 1" margins):
- A brief paragraph highlighting accomplishments since undertaking graduate study at the University of Iowa (maximum 250 words)
- Description of planned activities and goals for the term applying for the scholarship (maximum 300 words)
- Transcript (unofficial acceptable)
- A one-page CV of educational and professional experience, honors and awards, and publications.
Letter of support
- One letter from the student’s advisor:
- Indicating the department does not have a graduate assistantship to support the student and that the student is making good academic progress.
Applications should be submitted online.
Please call or email with questions
Executive Director of Operations Donna Welter (335-2145) or Associate Dean Shelly Campo (335-2136) or via email at email@example.com.