The UI Stanley Museum of Art is pleased to offer a half-time graduate assistantship in two different departments funded by the Graduate College. This post is for the Graduate Assistantship in Collections Management, working with the Manager of Collections and Chief Curator.
The assistantship is a 50% (20 hrs./wk.) academic year 2020-2021 appointment, paid at the minimum Graduate College stipend level, with a 100% tuition scholarship each semester based upon the Board of Regents resident graduate tuition. At present, the graduate assistant will work remotely with their supervisors in Fall 2020. The candidate must be able to devote one 8-hour workday a week to traveling out of town to work with the museum’s collection in Davenport beginning in Spring semester.
Graduate Assistantship in Collections and Research
This graduate assistantship is ideally suited to students in SLIS with interests in reference and database development. This assistant will help track the movement of artwork in preparation for the new museum, opening in 2022.
- Work with museum’s collection management system to update object location, history, and keyword data.
- Work with prepatorial art packing team by managing recording of packing stages and object movement reports.
- Assist in the development of future exhibitions by conducting research, contributing to grant narratives, and making use of visualization tools (SketchUp).
- Contribute to permanent collection research as directed.
- Manage incoming telephone calls, e-mail and written correspondence for supervisor and others as directed.
- Coordinate department’s interns.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- B.A. in the arts, education, or other related discipline
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exemplary research and writing ability
- Familiarity with Excel is desired but not required
- Detailed focused with emphasis on consistency
- Ability to maintain highest levels of confidentiality and discretion
- Experience in museums, galleries, libraries, or other relevant settings desirable but not required
Work may be performed in an office environment, museum environment or field environment and may involve handling objects up to 25 pounds.
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Application deadline is Monday, July 20, 2020.