Expectations for Scholars
All SROP scholars are required to:
- Complete a contract at the time of acceptance to participate in the program.
- Complete the entire 8-week SROP program. The objectives of this program are substantial and require a full-time commitment. Students can not be registered for classes or employed during the program.
- During the summer research internship, students will spend 35+ hours each week conducting a scholarly research project. You will work closely with your faculty mentor and any other personnel on his/her research team. You will meet regularly with your mentor to ensure progress on your research project.
- Attend and actively participate in:
- UI SROP Scholar Lunch & Learn Professional Development - prepare for graduate school from the application process through the transition to a challenging graduate education environment.
- UI SROP Scholar Research Seminar & Speaker's Series - Prior to each Speaker's Series, students will learn more about the topic from a graduate student or Post Doc from the speaker's research group in a mentored journal club setting.
- UI SROP Q&A Discovery Group - conversations with UI faculty mentors, postdoctoral and graduate students researchers to gain a fuller understanding of graduate school.
- Attend and participate in all GRE preparation workshops - improve your skills and learn new skills to achieve more competitive GRE Scores.
- Meet with program staff to review development of written and oral assignments.
- Complete assessment profiles to identify your strengths and areas for improvement; identify a goal and a plan of study to achieve benchmarks to demonstrate improvement.
- Prepare a poster and an abstract for presentation at the Annual UI Summer Undergraduate Research Conference (SURC).
- Submit a completed portfolio at the end of the program inclusive of all assignments.