NOT ACCEPTING NEW NOMINATIONS AS OF DECEMBER 1, 2014
The Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship program provides an outstanding recruiting package including a stipend, tuition, and generous health insurance allowance. Presidential Graduate Research Fellows receive support for five years.
- The first year fellowship includes 10 hours/week of research experience with one or two different mentors each semester. The fourth year is designed for dissertation research.
- Fellows are typically appointed as teaching or research assistants by their departments during the second and third years of the Fellowship award period.
- Fellows are eligible for the Fourth Year Post-Comprehensive Research Fellowship if they have passed the comprehensive examination.
- Summers are service-free for up to four years.
- A final year fellowship is possible through the competitive Ballard Seashore Dissertation Year Fellowship. Fellows who are not awarded the Ballard Seashore Fellowship will be supported by their department with an RA, TA or fellowship.
Typically fellowships cannot be used in combination with any other source of support (e.g., fellowship/scholarship, grant, graduate assistantships, or employment outside the University of Iowa) since the fellowships are meant to provide protected time for the student to advance his/her studies. Failure to report additional employment can be considered in future applications/nominations/continued Graduate College funding for both the student and the department. For more information or to ask for a possible one-time exception, contact the Graduate College. Please direct any questions to: Executive Director of Operations Donna Welter (335-2145) or Associate Dean Shelly Campo (335-2136) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's program retains the changes implemented last year. Fellows entering before Fall 2012 will follow the program described in their offer letter. As in the past, international students may still be nominated.
Nominations for the Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship are closed.
Program details include: