Recording a great video is a lot harder than it looks. Through a partnership between the UI Libraries and ITS Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology, the UI campus now offers a new solution called the One Button Studio. Visit the ONE BUTTON STUDIO site to learn more, sign up for a tour, or reserve a studio.
Preparing posters, talks, and presentations for conferences and symposia can help develop public communication skills, as can teaching and mentoring undergraduates. There are many opportunities to hone your communication skills, become more comfortable participating in public events, and deliver your message effectively.
One Button Studios
The Writing Center
The Writing Center provides free services to anyone in the University of Iowa community through assistance with all writing projects, including multimedia presentations, at any stage of development.
- Speaking Center — The Speaking Center offers quality, one-on-one and small group tutoring and consultation to students and instructors who would like to work on any aspect of oral communication.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes & Resources
- ESL Credit Program — ESL credit classes are available to UI students whose first language is not English. Course are offered in oral skills, pronunciation, grammar, reading, writing, and listening. Classes are designed to improve students’ language skills to enable them to successfully complete academic coursework. View course policies and course descriptions for more information.
- Non-Credit — The Iowa Intensive English Program provides English instruction that emphasizes spoken and written English. Grammar, writing, reading, listening, comprehension, pronunciation, and conversation skills are taught.
- Campus Conversation Partners — Campus Conversation Partners pairs non-native, English-speaking students, scholars, and staff with native or near-native, English-speaking members of the University faculty and staff for one-on-one, information conversation in English. The program promotes cultural awareness, understanding, and the opportunity to see the world from another perspective.
- ESL Tutoring — The ESL Program Office maintains a list of tutors who are specifically certified to teach English as a second language.
Graduate Level Courses in Communications
RHET: 7500 Science Communication in the Digital Age This course for graduate students in the sciences builds critical skills relevant to a spectrum of career tracks. Students will learn strategies to communicate their science to a variety of both lay and specialist audiences using 21 st-century technology. This course will improve students’ abilities to define their identities as scientists, to effectively reach a variety of audiences, and to always know and be ready to convey their message. These skills are important for scientists at all stages of their careers.
Supported by an NIH/NIGMS training supplement through the Division of Training, Workforce Development & Diversity.
- Develop direct and succinct communication skills to reach both lay and scientific audiences
- Receive hands-on training in audio/ video production and basic website design
- Develop a professional on-line presence in order to communicate, advocate, and/or raise funds
Meeting Thursdays, 6:30-8:20, 2-credit hours with optional lab
RHET:7900 Public Speaking for Academics: Develop your speaking skills and confidence in a course that gives you practice presenting your own research.
Engage in cross-disciplinary conversations about performance and speaking practices to hone skills for more effective:
- Conference & In-Class Presentations
- Teaching & Instruction
- Thesis/Dissertation Defenses
- Job Talks and Interviews
RHET:7930 Writing in the Disciplines: Learn strategies to enhance your writing clarity and productivity. This interdisciplinary course will help with your writing projects, including manuscripts, term papers, dissertation chapters, grant proposals, posters, and websites. Workshop writing projects for pragmatic, tangible outcomes. Communicate across disciplinary boundaries. Compete for jobs.