The Office of Graduate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is focused on helping graduate students from underrepresented populations excel at Iowa. We do this by building and supporting community connections across campus and celebrating the achievements and contributions of underrepresented students. As a group, we thrive on building connections and helping students find community before, during, and after graduate school. The Office of Graduate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is also the proud home of the Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP), a summer opportunity that connects undergraduates from underrepresented and first-generation backgrounds to graduate level research. Please explore our resources, find us on Facebook, or drop us a note to learn more.
- The Office of Graduate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is working to build a sustainable practice of inclusion to attract and keep top underrepresented graduate scholars in our 100+ graduate programs. Grad DEI uses an approach that builds community and involves faculty in recruiting and mentoring efforts.
- Increase numbers of underrepresented ethnic minorities in graduate programs.
- Increase the number of doctoral students among U.S. ethnic minorities.
- Build community for ethnic minorities within graduate programs at Iowa.
- Have a presence on campus with a clear message of inclusion and community.
- Offer support to departments and programs at The University of Iowa that are interested in building, extending, or sustaining their practices of ethnic inclusion.
- Support a faculty-based effort for recruiting top graduate scholars who are underrepresented ethnic minorities.
- Provide mentoring and support for students throughout their degree programs.
- Provide professional/career development and networking opportunities for Grad DEI students.
o Community Building with students, staff, and faculty
o Summer Programs
o Outreach and Recruitment
o Professional/Career Development
o Social and Cultural Events
Applying to Graduate School
Recruitment and Outreach
- Initial contact for potential students
- Advise students on the application process
- Review deadline information
- Provide departmental and faculty contacts
- Describe CIC Free App and Iowa fee waiver process
- Identify funding opportunities
- Identify current graduate students and organization leaders
- Provide information links on housing and local community
- Describe support resources
Please contact Joseph Henry by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 335-2138.
Professional Development and Community Support
The Office of Graduate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion seeks to build inclusive academic communities by providing educational opportunities. These opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Focus Groups
- Topical Seminars
- Presentations for students, staff, and faculty
- Brown Bag Lunches
- Grad DEI Advisory Council
- Partnerships with UI and local community
- Grad DEI welcomes suggestions for additional educational programming opportunities