The University of Iowa

Graduate Assistantships and Loans

Funding support for graduate school at the University of Iowa takes the form of graduate assistantships, fellowships and traineeships. The most important source of funding for most graduate students is their own graduate program. Please contact your program’s Graduate Coordinator for information about funding opportunities within the department. To view a list of assistantships outside of your home department, see Graduate College's Open Assistantships.

Graduate teaching and research assistant appointments, employment terms, benefits, and conditions are governed by a Graduate Assistant Employment Agreement, departmental policies, and the University Operations Manual. Base wages are determined by a collective bargaining agreement between the Board of Regents, State of Iowa and UI local 896/COGS. The 2019-2021 COGS contract will take effect on July 1, 2019. The Graduate Student Employee Committee (GSEC) provides recommendations to institutional leadership in matters related to graduate student employment.

Student Loans

Student loans are a type of financial aid that must be repaid to the lender. While many graduate students take out some student loans, they should not be considered your primary way to support graduate education. Please visit Financial Aid for more information on student loans.